Hoffman’s NY-23 Spin: Bad on Facts, Worse on Presentation

Though the election is over, and the news on the absentee ballot count is going from bad to worse for Hoffman, his spin machine is apparently just starting. From Hoffman’s campaign site:

As evidence surfaces, we find out that reported results from election night were far from accurate. ACORN and the unions did their best to try and sway the results to Obamacare supporter Bill Owens.

I was forced to concede after receiving two pieces of grim news – – down 5,335 votes with 93 percent of the vote counted on election night – and barely won my stronghold in Oswego County. On Election Night, the information we received was far different from what we received this week! [. . .]

Let’s force them keep this recanvassing active! Let’s give this election a chance to end differently!
Oswego County elections officials blame the mistakes on “chaos” in their call-in center that included a phone system foul-up, and on inspectors who read numbers incorrectly when phoning in results. This sounds like a tactic right from the ACORN playbook.

The second paragraph conceals a very important distortion: as we have explained, Oswego’s election night report that Hoffman won the county narrowly, with 93% of the vote reporting, was quite accurate. What Hoffman should have known, but didn’t bother to investigate, was that the remaining 7% of the vote was likely to bolster his numbers substantially. The fault in Oswego is not with the elections commissioners, but with Hoffman’s failure to follow through on his own election. Jefferson County is another story: there the problem was real, the fault was with the commissioners, and the delayed returns may have prejudiced Hoffman’s decision to concede. But, “no harm, no foul”: Jefferson’s numbers were corrected the very next day, and though the corrections flipped the county to Hoffman, they didn’t change the district-wide outcome. The notion that this is somehow a new story as of last week is absurd.

So much for the factual allegations. What’s really concerning is Hoffman’s presentation: the page on which this impassioned plea resides is entitled, “Stop another stolen election!” Ahem: “another”? What, pray tell, was the first stolen election? Is Hoffman saying the “Obama Regime” somehow stole the 2008 race? [Update: yes.]

And then there’s the postscript:

P.S. I ran a different kind of campaign, one where Conservatives, Republicans, Libertarians, Tea Party and 9/12 activists rallied around. ACORN, the unions and Democratic Party were scared, and that’s why they tampered with the ballots of voters in NY-23.

First commenter to spot all the grammar errors gets a prize. Hoffman may have gained votes since November 3rd, but he’s steadily losing his already-tenuous grasp on reality.

Advertisements

2 comments

  1. I suspect we may have a new conspiracy theory in the works, the right really has wandered off into lala land, havn’t they?

  2. Yeah, they have. Salon points out that ACORN isn’t even operating in NY-23. They literally have no personnel there.

%d bloggers like this: